Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Central Gold - the finished article


So heres the finished piece - Central Gold, acrylic on canvas. I tweaked it here and there and I'm pretty happy with it now, hopefully this piece will be winging its way to Christchurch in the not so distant future. I've decided I'd like to explore this style of painting further - see how well it relates to other landscapes and perhaps even figures. Unfortunately in this pic you cant see the extent of the textured effect I've given the lowlights within the hills - but it is there, similar to how I worked on Accessorise, but with a couple more layers, in some ways more subtle while still allowing several colours to show at once.
I've hit a slow patch with the world series - I can't get past one idea I have which will use one very large canvas, and unfortunately that is really not possible right now. I have been sketching additional ideas but the pile of screwed up paper is getting bigger and bigger - it's definitely a walk away moment!
I also desperately need to start work on a charity project for the starship hospital. I have agreed to make some decorations but once again that wall has popped up. I had a great vision - the reality of the construction was a little out of my league though so I'm back to the drawing board. I really want to have something original going on but as I'm more used to working with paint than other mediums it's becoming a real challenge - fun in it's own way but I'm running out of time, projects are starting to stack up and well it's starting to feel a little like work.