Monday, August 18, 2008

SECOND WORK IN SERIES - A CHILDS EYE VIEW






So heres the second piece - once again simple imaging, in acrylics. This one incorporates the quote "the world is awesome" kindly given to me by Nathalia 6yrs. I have now titled the series "A Childs Eye View" although I have some concerns surrounding the upper age of some of the participants - 15 and older. I'm just not sure they'll be happy with the "child" label , I mean some of them are in paid fulltime work - not really kids anymore. Anyway this was quite a fun piece fairly challenging in its own way - how to define "awesome", I looked closely at my own children who are roughly the same age and well - fun equals awesome in their book. I went for a simple image with a limited palette trying to leave interpretation predominantly in the viewers court, sometimes I feel heavily detailed pieces can leave little to the imagination and lets face it one of the defining features of childrens views is their imagination. I am constantly trying to free mine back to the days of childhood, when I wasnt as jaded. Before I knew too much and just let my feelings free.


This series is definitely challenging me as an artist and as a mother to look closely within - to all I've forgotton and all I shut myself off from as an adult. Still enjoying myself which has to be a good thing - and learning also surely a good thing. I firmly believe that when we cease to learn we cease to live.