Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My new series of NZ Landscapes

I enjoyed painting Central Gold so much that I've moved into a whole series based around the NZ landscapes. This piece "Shifting Sands" is still unfinished but I think showing some promise. I need to integrate the lake into the picture, as it stands it looks out of place. I'm enjoying the freedom of this style, I need to refine the technique more but I'm definitely enjoying the process. The landscapes of New Zealand affect people in so many ways, I enjoy listening to locals talk about the scenery that surrounds them and taking away with me the way they feel and trying to put it out on canvas. When I hear people discussing Central Otago for instance their words are injected with pride and a sense of history. The often rugged coastlines evoke feelings of freedom. For me I love to capture these feelings on canvas as often they are a mirror image of emotions I have in other facets of my life.
It's a more than pleasant way to bide my time until I can continue with my World series.