Monday, October 6, 2008

Portrait of my girl - pencil sketch

So as you may well know I've been rather busy lately - too busy in fact to paint. I have however been able to take time to revisit the humble pencil. The above pic is a sketch I just completed of my daughter - I worked from a photo taken a couple of years ago which I always thought would make for a great painting, I'm rather happy with the results. It did take a couple of false starts but once I started I remembered just how much I enjoy the simplicity of a pencil! No major cleanup, no major set up - rather fantastic concept really. It lead me to thinking about my world series and how I've been putting it off for bigger canvases when in reality perhaps all I needed was a different approach. I shall think further on this - and in the meantime shall definitely explore drawing further.